Priorities of a Healthy Church
December 3, 2017
- You can find audio recordings of sermons in this series, Priorities of a Healthy Church, here.
- You can find the Sermon Recaps for this series, here.
Main Theme: When Christ is our delight and satisfaction, we treasure His Word and obey it. Part of that involves prioritizing, in the church, what He prioritizes.
What are the priorities that scripture describes the local church is to be about?
I. The Centrality of the Word
II. A Commitment to Expository Preaching
III. Embracing the Work and Ministry of the Holy Spirit
IV. Gospel-Centered Theology
V. Genuine Conversion
VI. A Biblical Understanding of Evangelism
VII. Church Membership
VIII. Church Discipline
IX. The Necessity of Discipleship and Spiritual Growth
X. Church Leadership
* Note: This series draws from Mark Dever’s book 9 Marks of a Healthy Church.
Questions for Discussion / Application:
- What does it mean for a local church to keep the Word of God central? Why is that so important? What are the dangers of failing to keep it central?
- What does it mean to keep the gospel central in our lives?
- Why is it so important for believers to keep the gospel central in their lives? What is it so important for local churches to keep the gospel central?
- What does it mean that true conversion is “the fruit of regeneration”? How does Eph. 2 point to this?
- Do you think we often grasp the biblical urgency of evangelism? If we did, how would that change our attitude and approach to reaching out to unbelievers?
- In 30 seconds summarize why you believe church membership matters and is important.
- What are the benefits of joining a local church? How have you benefited personally from being a member of the local church you are part of?
- In what ways is church discipline a means of God’s grace to His people?
- What does it look like to rest in our justification while simultaneously “make every effort” to pursue growth? How do we go about doing that?